Finding a quality auto repair shop on the fly can be stressful. At Bowers Automotive in Colorado Springs, we advise our customers to add our information to their phone contacts so that we can be there to help them in case of emergency. It’s important to be prepared, to know what to look for and what to avoid, so here’s our advice on finding a quality auto repair shop.
If you move to a new location, there are a few things you can do to make finding a quality auto repair shop easier and faster. Check Google maps for all the auto shops in your area. Don’t base your choice purely on proximity, but it helps if the repair shop is conveniently close to your home or workplace. If your vehicle requires special attention, rule out any local shops that don’t accommodate your needs.
Search online for reviews or evaluations of your local auto repair shops. You can check websites such as Yelp, Angie’s List, the Better Business Bureau and the individual Facebook pages for customer opinions.
Any establishments with more negative reviews than positive reviews, cross off the list. Likewise, avoid shops with subpar ratings from the Better Business Bureau, your local chambers of commerce and other consumer organizations. Ask friends, neighbors, and coworkers for recommendations as well.
Once you have a shortlist of potential auto shops, visit them in person. Take time to evaluate the appearance of the facility.
- Are tools and parts strewn around haphazardly, or is there some appearance of order?
- Do the service bays contain modern looking equipment?
- Are the vehicles being serviced similar in value to your own?
- Can you imagine confidently leaving your car here to be serviced by these technicians?
- Do you see professional affiliation certificates, consumer awards or other plaques displayed?
- In addition to an orderly, professional work-space, you should also be looking for good customer service. Are you approached by an employee and offered assistance quickly? At this point, you can ask questions about basics such as fees for diagnostic and ordinary repair work, payment methods, guarantees and services offered.
- The manager or technician should be able to take the time to answer your questions and show you the ASE certifications and qualifications of all staff technicians if requested. When finding a quality auto repair shop, it should make a good first impression with its appearance, as well as the friendliness and competence of its staff members.
- Before leaving, ask for the names and phone numbers of a few regular customers as references. Don’t be afraid to call them for a quick opinion.
- You can also bring your vehicle in for a small job such as tire rotation or an oil change. Pay careful attention to how their team handles your car repair, their professionalism and the price quoted versus the price billed on this first visit. It will give you a good idea of what to expect from them in the future.
Now that you know what goes into finding a quality auto repair shop, it’s time to get out there and make your choice. Feel free to stop by Bowers Automotive in Colorado Springs where you’re welcome to take a look around and meet our team of friendly professionals. Need an oil change? Let’s start there. Call or contact us today, and we’ll set you up with an appointment.